One of the most popular and sought after indigenous Nigerian soups is Ofe Nsala or White Soup. It is a very rich and delicious soup among the Igbos from the South-Eastern part of Nigerian. Listed below are ingredients needed to make Ofe Nsala. One is not bound to use all the ingredients listed below:
OFE NSALA: Ingredients
- Ground dry crayfish
- 2 seasoning cubes (Maggi/Knorr) of your choice
- Uziza seeds
- Uziza leaves
- Dried fish
- Fresh fish
- Stockfish (okporoko, if you wish)
- Meat (chicken, goat, beef)
Steps on how to cook Nsala soup
- Peel a small quantity of yam nicely, dice into smaller sizes and rinse well.
- Rinse the meat and stockfish into a pot.
- Add the blended pepper, onions, stock cubes, salt, and place on heat to cook.
- Add enough water to the meat and also add the peeled yams and cook for 15 minutes.
- Once the yam is soft, remove from the content.
- Let the meat and stockfish cook for a while until it turns out very soft.
- Place the yam in the mortar and mash gently or use a blender to blend it and set aside.
- Add some ground crayfish to the meat, more stock cube, and uziza seed and stir properly, you can add more water if the initial is dried up.
- Cut the mashed yam into small sizes and drop into the pot containing the meat to dissolve.
- After the yam has dissolved in the content, taste for seasoning and adjust if need be.
- Add the shredded uziza leaves sparingly and stir well to combine, leave the soup to simmer for few minutes on medium heat.
- Serve with pounded yam or fufu.
Credit: Vivian Onyebukwa